Author's Note: This was first published on January 1, 2010....it's time for a check up. So how is 2010 going for you so far?
1. Be nice. It’s really not that hard.
2. Follow your passion. Of course, you need to know what it is first. Take some time to figure it out; it will be worth it unless your decided passion is something like shoplifting, high speed chases or picking your nose. Those are all just wrong. The PYB is currently in between passions and will be working on this one herself.
3. Hug your people; that can never be done enough and no one really ever gets tired of it.
4. You know all those thoughts that cross your mind during the day? Verbalize the good ones. If you’re in the store and the woman in front of you has a cute hair cut tell her! Her day may have completely gone down hill - one comment could change that. You never know.
5. Go watch an Atlanta Beat women’s soccer game this summer! They’ll be playing in Kennesaw in a beautiful new stadium and there’s just not anything like live soccer. Don’t worry if you don’t know the rules, the PYB will be glad to explain (so it only took her about 6 yrs to figure out the off-sides call). These women play hard and fast - you won’t be disappointed.
6. Treat yourself every now and then. The PYB believes most of us have learned this lesson as we’ve become (clears throat) older. She treats herself with books, plants, candles, music and Netflix. She almost said cats, but that’s almost too “cat-lady like” and kinda creepy. She has a two cat limit any way.
7. Sleep! Plenty of it, too. Everything is manageable when you’ve had enough sleep. So that means no caffeine in the evening…the PYB has the new one cup Keurig coffee maker and, not only it just fun, it makes a damn fine cup of coffee; she hasn’t slept for days!
8. Surprise someone – send flowers out of the blue or better yet pick some wildflowers (not from a park, please) or cut some from your yard and take them to someone. You’ll get just as much satisfaction sending them as receiving. And keep in mind, the PYB’s favorites are daisies and sunflowers.
9. Recycle and use your own bags when shopping. IKEA sells really cheap and colorful shopping bags – the PYB loves them! You just have to remember to keep them in your car AND take them into the store. The PYB takes her recycling to work at KSU and is able to bring in cardboard, cans, paper and plastic. You will be amazed how much more room you’ll have in your trashcan. Composting is also a great way to help the environment; just make sure your compost pile is far away from your backyard deck! You can then use the compost to grow the flowers you’re going to bring to a friend.
10. Ladies, get yourself a red patent leather purse! No reason, just do it.
11. You and only you are responsible for your happiness – others can contribute and enhance it, but it’s ultimately up to you.
These are simple guidelines and there are plenty more. Feel free to add to the list. The petite young blonde needs reminders throughout the year – writing them down will hopefully help them stick in her head. She thanks you for indulging her.
Here’s to 2010!